English Bull Terrier

Update: due to the nature of recent comments on this post it has been necessary to temporarily close it to fresh comments. For further information, see: IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM MARKUS PRETZEL.

The English Bull Terrier was originally bred for fighting bulls but these days they are mostly just for show. The breed has a very muscular build and a strange-looking head and is available in brindle (brown) and white as well as a combination of the two colours. English Bull Terriers like being with people but enjoy attacking other dogs so if you decide to get one you will need to be careful in the park and always keep your dog on a lead. Some owners use muzzles to avoid embarrassing situations.

Because the fear gene is removed during the breeding process these dogs are not afraid of anything; English Bull Terriers are always up for a fight and can be aggressive towards animals much larger than themselves (e.g. bulls). Having said that, in the film Oliver! (based on the novel Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens), Bill Sikes’ loyal English Bull Terrier, Bull’s Eye, eventually deserts his owner after Sikes brutally murders his prostitute girlfriend, Nancy. This shows that, despite its aggressive nature, the English Bull Terrier has a kind heart and will not put up with people who treat others badly.

Some think that the English Bull Terrier will eat anything but this is not true. Generally, it is recommended that you feed them meat and biscuits like most other dogs. English Bull Terriers are always born in the spring – late March or April – meaning they are Arians. They like to drink Budweiser.

The 1963 Disney film The Incredible Journey featured an English Bull Terrier called Bodger who went on a 2000 mile trip with his friends (a Siamese cat and a Labrador Retriever) across the Canadian wilderness in search of Edward, a kind of dog guru. When they couldn’t find Edward, the owner of the three pets picked them up in his station wagon and took them home. Whilst The Incredible Journey is a great movie it is also a little unrealistic: if the trip had been real it would not have lasted very long as the English Bull Terrier would have killed and eaten his companions!

There have been many famous owners of English Bull Terriers but perhaps none more famous than Adolf Hitler.

Advertisements

84 responses to this post.

1. Posted by darren on May 1, 2011 at 03:09

Good info but just one problem Hitlers dog was an jack russell terrier not a english bull terrier-see here- http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2007/06/hilters-stolen-jack-russell.html

• Posted by markuspretzel on May 3, 2011 at 00:12

Yes, thank you for your comment, Darren. However, you really shouldn’t believe everything you read on the Big Brain. Here at Dog Breeds of the World we have to be extra careful as the purpose of our site is to educate people; you can rest assured all our information is exhaustively researched and we only use reputable sources like Wikipedia. Thanks again, my friend; enjoy your life as it is the only one you will ever have! (Unless reincarnation is real.)

• Posted by darren on January 13, 2012 at 10:28

Not been on here for a while but thanks for your daft reply, it’s just like your silly description of the bull terrier, it allways makes me laugh though!
        The “shoelace/sellotape, born in spring, drink bud i.e. Spuds McKenzie, eat his companions” etc are all sarcastically funny even though there is a bit of truth in what you are trying to say……

• Posted by Nara on September 17, 2012 at 12:01

Wikipedia is not a reliable source, anyone can edit it and write whatever they want there.

• Posted by Debbie Ross on June 14, 2013 at 23:45

You cannot seriously endorse this [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]?
        This description is absolute and utter rubbish!!!! You should check your facts carefully before trying to mislead people.
        I have owned and still do, English Bull Terriers. General Patton owned one.
        They are not ‘mainly used for show’. Aggressive gene? Are you serious?
        You have MOST OBVIOUSLY NEVER even had contact with a Bully!!
        MUZZLE THEM?
        ENJOY FIGHTING?
        They are very loyal dogs!! They are protective and are NOT aggressive!!!! It is the OWNER who is IGNORANT of healthy animal welfare that MAKES them aggressive.

• Posted by markuspretzel on July 8, 2013 at 11:02

Thank you for your opinion, Debbie. I have edited out an expletive as this is a family site. We welcome healthy debate but do please try to keep it clean in future. Thank you. Regards, Markus x

• Posted by Ivy on July 8, 2013 at 03:18

Seriously you use Wikipedia for info? Our Universities advise all students DO NOT USE WIKIPEDIA as the information cannot be confirmed if true or correct and in most cases FALSE. Look if your going to write about dog breeds, at least get the information from breed clubs that way its true and accurate description of the breed. Your description of Bull Terriers is false and incorrect. You couldn’t even get the colours correct so how the hell are people expected to believe you? Folks this breed description is false and incorrect and the person who has promoted this lacks knowledge on how to correctly research evidence. In one hand you say they are bred for shows and on the other hand you say they fight and kill yet funnily enough they go to dog shows. Do they eat dogs at dog shows too by any chance? Look for anyone reading this, the information contained here is false and misleading and really needs to be removed.

• Posted by markuspretzel on July 8, 2013 at 11:08

Dear Ivy, thank you for your comment and the helpful information about university – I am hoping to go there one day myself but unfortunately I work in retail and do not earn a lot of money so I am having to save up (if you would like to help you could send me some money using PayPal?). I must say, however, that dogs are my passion and I’m afraid I do have to draw the line when my professionalism is called into question. That said, you are welcome to your opinion. But I know I am right. Kind regards, Markus x

• Posted by Maria Lewis on September 8, 2013 at 17:36

Your purpose is to educate people with this article?? Well you’ve pulled this one out of a Christmas cracker because its a load of old crap! You clearly don’t know ANYTHING about English bull terriers, you really need to edit this article with TRUE information about the breed or delete this article altogether!

• Posted by A. McGinty on March 14, 2013 at 18:34

I cannot find any sources mentioning Hitler having a Bull Terrier. He had several German Shepherds at various points, and I believe also cared for a stray Fox Terrier.

• Hitler had a German Shepard called Blondie.
        The guy that wrote this [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] has NEVER had anything to do with Bullies or he wouldn’;t write this [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]!!!!!
        Origanally bred for fighting Bulls?
        “Fear Gene” removed??????????

Some owners use muzzles to avoid embarrassing situations.” HUH?

” English Bull Terriers are always born in the spring ā€“ late March or April ā€“ meaning they are Arians.”
        [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] off you complete and utter [ABUSIVE TERM REMOVED]!!!!!!!
        My Bully ‘s birthday is 28FEB , gee that’s not Spring anywhere, and I don’t give a rodent’s rectum what sign he is!!!!
        The [ABUSIVE TERM REMOVED] who wrot3e this [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] has NO [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] IDEA what a Bully is about!!!!!!

• Posted by markuspretzel on July 8, 2013 at 10:55

Dear Alice, thank you for your comment and your strong opinions. I am all in favour of healthy debate but please note I cannot tolerate expletives and abusive terms as this is a family site. With this in mind, I have, as you can see, edited your comment to remove the terms in question. I imagine this is something you will welcome now that you are sober. It’s very easy to lose control when we have had a few drinks but please try to remember we work very hard to provide this free information service for dog lovers and have a right to be treated with respect. Perhaps you should wash your mouth out with some soap? Kind regards, Markus x

2. Posted by Susan on May 6, 2011 at 15:43

I will second that these are very aggressive dogs. As a charlotte dog aggression specialist I see owners all time with English bulldog terriers that wonder why their pet is being so aggressive. Hopefully more owners will start doing research on dog breeds before purchasing.

• Posted by lynda on May 24, 2012 at 14:31

i have 3 im no specialist but a responsible experienced owner … sorry to disagree with the specialist but its the aggressive or bad owners that give dogs in general a bad name .. mine have been attacked by yorkshire terriers , a labrador and many more breeds whilst they’v been walking in the park (on leads) these other dogs have not been attacked by my dogs infact they socialise very well thank you .. you will not get a more loyal loveable breed .. if you put the time and effort in you will also get a well trained dog

• Posted by ruifernandes83@hotmail.com on January 24, 2013 at 00:09

i have a bull terrier and it’s lovely, so calm.. with people and other dogs..
      but dogs are different, and owners too..

• Yes yes you big “specialist” you!!!!
      My Bully tears my throat out everyday (this is why I’m typing)
      I no longer have limbs and he feeds on my entrails,
      You are full of [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] honey! You are not a specialist in anything but [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]!!!!!
      Coz if you knew ONE SINGLE Bully, you would not ssay this [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]!!!!!

• Posted by markuspretzel on July 8, 2013 at 10:59

Dear Alice, as you can see, I have had to edit a number of expletives from your comment. Please try to remember to stay calm (and sober?) next time you are moved to share your opinions. We are a family site and we work hard to do our best and only supply the best quality information available (despite the fact that we do not always feel appreciated). Thank you for your understanding. Markus x

• Posted by Ivy on July 8, 2013 at 03:20

Another one who hasn’t a clue, the fact that your calling them an English Bulldog Terrier clearly shows you wouldn’t know one if it bit your ass. No such breed!

• Posted by Leigh Dolton on September 8, 2013 at 17:38

Ur obviously a crap specialist then if u believe this description… u should get another job, I certainly wouldnt bring a dog to u!

3. Posted by john nicklin on September 7, 2011 at 23:51

i do not agree for a start there is no such breed as an “english bulldog terrier” english bull terriers are no more aggressive than any other breed yes if you are thinking of a owning a bullie you need to do your homework and only buy from a reputable breeder then this dog must be socialised and properly trained at an early age it is not an ideal breed for the inexpierienced owner everyone is entitled to an opinion but i feel very strongly about some peoples views on these wonderfull dogs

4. Posted by john nicklin on September 8, 2011 at 00:07

great pic though is this “credata”

• Posted by markuspretzel on September 15, 2011 at 11:57

Dear John, I am not sure who ‘credata’ is – is that the name of your dog? The dog of a friend? It is a good name, I think, as it rhymes with ‘predator’. Kind regards, Markus x

5. I THINK THESE DOGS ARE THE BEST DOGS IN THE WORLD I WOULD LIKE TO
    CONGRAYULATE THE CROSS BRITHERS YOU GUYS HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB
    THANK YOU NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE MAY SAY YOU ARE THE BEST.
    ATHER PEOPLE DONT NKOW WHAT DOGS ARE IM A BLACK MAN I LOVE DOGS
    MORE THAN I LOVE MYSELF I WISH I COULD HAVE ONE OF THOSE BUT ONE DAY
    I WILL IF I CAN AFFORD TO HAVE MONEY COZ THEY ARE EXPENCIVE IN BUYING
    CHEAP TO FEED I HAVE NO PROBLEM IN FEEDING.
    THE ATHER THING ITS THAT ITS THE WAY YOU TREAT YOUR YOUR PET TO RESPECT IF YOU HAVE A BOOLY HEART YOUR PET WILL HAVE NO HEART FOR SPER. PLZ ANY BODY WHO HAS A HEART PLZ I NEED A PUPPY I CAN NOT AFFORD ONE ITS COMMING TO THE HANDS OF AN ANIMAL LOVER I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR SUTCH A FRIEND INDEED.

6. Posted by steve green on October 6, 2011 at 18:22

jabulani
    if you want one re home one that really needs a good home and a loving companian.
    there is loads out there just make phone call. GOOGLE

• Posted by markuspretzel on January 31, 2013 at 00:24

Yes, good advice, my friend. Thanks for your assistance. Regards, Markus x

P.S. I am looking for a (unpaid) PA. If you are the person for the job please email me x

7. I think this dog will provide security for the home .These dogs are also used for special purposes in the different organizations.These dog are trained by the dog training professionals.They can train it properly and change the behavior .Also the home made raw foods is preferred for the health condition of this type of dog.

• Posted by markuspretzel on January 31, 2013 at 00:27

Yes, just look at all the muscles on them! They are definitely good for protecting the home. Good luck with all your home protection activities. Regards, Markus x

8. Posted by Jon on November 4, 2011 at 13:24

I own an english bull terrier and I have to say you are all completely wrong! My dog has been attacked by everything from Yorkshire terriers to boxers and border collies and he has never retaliated even when injured. He is a loving dog that enjoys the company of people and dogs and if treated right make a good sturdy pet.

• Posted by Ann on April 21, 2012 at 09:16

i agree totally with you, our english bull terrier has also been attacked by all sorts of small dogs even a 3 legged yorkshire terrier. They are very soft natured and love attention they are like all other dogs what the owners make them. Unfortunately our dog had to be put to sleep a few weeks ago due to a ruptured intestine. In time we will hopefully get anyone of these dogs but for now we are grieving.

• Posted by lynda on May 24, 2012 at 14:40

sorry for your loss .. i agree with you ann and jan .. these people need to go on bully sites with real people and real animals displayed and proudly talked about with wonderful stories ..

9. Posted by Rayman on January 13, 2012 at 09:30

Good articel about English Bull Terrier,
    thanks for sharing,

schody

10. Posted by steve on April 21, 2012 at 12:55

What an absolutely ridiculous generalised description of an English bull terrier, I own an ebt and know others who own them, your description is totally inaccurate and reads like it is written by a biased uneducated idiot.

• Posted by markuspretzel on January 31, 2013 at 00:37

Please, there is no need for ad hominem attacks. We always try to do our best here at Dog Breeds of the World but we understand our best will never be good enough for some. I am sorry for this but sadly it is the way the world is (made by Lord God above in heaven). I wish you all the luck in the world, my friend, because you are going to need it in this life with an attitude like yours. Best wishes, Markus x

11. Posted by Norbert Kucsera on May 11, 2012 at 14:13

I can say, bullterrier is absolutely not an agressive dog, and do not atacking any outher dogs without reason. Of course your bullterrier wil be friendly only if you are the packleader, and you are most powerfull like the dog! i have an 4 year old bullterrier female, and she is absolute not agressive with any dogs or people. I`m proud of she!

• Posted by markuspretzel on January 31, 2013 at 00:40

Dear Norbert, thank you for your information. I will add it to my dog information database. Peace, Markus x

12. Posted by lynda on May 24, 2012 at 14:34

well said i have 3 lovable non aggressive bullies .. x

13. Posted by Zoe on July 12, 2012 at 14:13

I have had my English Bull Terrier for two and a half years and after reading this its clear he is not a typical Bull Terrier! I do not agree with most of what is wrote – mine is not aggressive, loves small animals and doesn’t “enjoy” attacking other dogs, or anything else for that matter!!!

14. Posted by Nicki on August 3, 2012 at 17:49

Totally inaccurate portrayal of the most loyal friendly dogs. We have a cat that is still alive, he has friends ranging from shiz tzus to German shepherd, is never confrontational infact he is a shy submissive dog.
    If I’d have read this article before getting him I would have never have looked at one never mind rescued one.
    I think you need to read some facts on the breed, meet a few then think about writing about them!

• Posted by markuspretzel on January 31, 2013 at 00:44

I’m sorry, my friend, but having a cat that is ‘still alive’ is no cause for celebration – in general, this is what we expect! I wish you good luck in all your future endeavours and hope life brings you all that you have wished for. Kind regards, Markus x

15. Posted by Karen on October 31, 2012 at 22:55

I just had to make a response to the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. We have a 5 yr old boy bully who is the most lovable dog we have ever had, in fact we were so taken we now also have a 1 yr old girl (forgot what its like to have a pup) we would not swap either for anything in the world. They are such funny characters. We think you should get your facts right before you make a complete ass of yourself – oop’s sorry you already have.

16. Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? With thanks

• Posted by markuspretzel on January 31, 2013 at 00:21

I’m sorry, I am only interested in information about dogs. Have you tried Wikipedia? They are very good for all kinds of information. Regards, Markus x

17. Posted by Anthony on March 11, 2013 at 21:27

I’d just like to point out that Bull Terriers were NOT originally bred to fight bulls, as this article states. The ‘Bull’ in the name often confuses people in this manner. It comes from the fact that the breed was developed mainly by cross-breeding the English Bulldog and the now-extinct English Terrier – the original name of the breed was the ‘Bull and Terrier’.

The breed was originally developed for dog fighting. However, this does not mean it is an aggressive breed today – careful selective breeding of many breeds originally created for fighting has bred out the aggressive traits. The Bull Terrier is no more aggressive now than any other breed. There are occasional aggressive individuals of all breeds, and training by unscrupulous owners can create aggressive dogs that give their breed a bad name. As the saying goes, there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

• Posted by Dawn on September 8, 2013 at 20:59

The bull terrier was not originally bred for fighting at all. It was the bull dog that was breed for fighting and used to create the bull terrier which was breed for control of rodents on the streets in Victorian times. At no point was a bull terrier breed for fighting. They were only used for fighting because of their strength but it was soon realised that they were not aggressive enough. Only today’s pricks in society keep the dog fighting with bully’s going!

18. Posted by Shirley on March 12, 2013 at 22:51

This is the most nonsensical article I’ve ever read. Almost all the information is completely wrong. As the above poster, Anthony, says, the original purpose of the breed was dog fighting, not bull baiting. He is also correct in saying the breed is not aggressive today. There is no such thing as a ‘fear gene’ as this article claims, and if there were it could not simply be bred out. Bull Terriers experience fear just like any other animal.

Most, though not all, puppies of all breeds are born in spring, but how this makes them Arians is beyond me – I’ve never yet met any dog with any sort of theological leanings.

The Budweiser comment obviously refers to the Budweiser mascot Spuds MacKenzie, but is a silly thing to say. Some dogs like to drink beer, it’s true, but not all Bullies by any means, and any responsible dog owner would not allow their pet to drink beer in the first place.

There is absolutely no reason the Bully in ‘The Incredible Journey’ should have killed and eaten his companions. The other dog in the trio is just as likely, or unlikely, to have done so!

The article is also wrong about the colours the breed comes in – it certainly doesn’t just come in white, brindle or a combination of these. The picture accompanying the article doesn’t show any of these colours, for one thing! The picture shows a red and white Bull Terrier. They also come in red, fawn, fawn and white, black, black and white, and tricolour.

19. Posted by ken on May 12, 2013 at 23:48

Ive just bought a ebt I get him next week could anybody tell me what thebest diet and foods I should give him. Thanks

20. They do well on a BARF diet Ken google it, loads of info on the web.
    Tripe builds them up good, also a lot of bullies have allergies and they can be triggered by diet amongst other things, if you have never had a bully before join a ebt club and ask away they will be familiar with all the traits, unlike the author of this page šŸ˜‰

21. Posted by ken on May 13, 2013 at 12:49

Thanks daz im gonna have a look into the barf diet as a few people have said that would be a good diet for him . Niceonemate

22. Posted by ken on May 13, 2013 at 13:00

But ive also heard this isnt a diet I should use for an englishbullterrier or is that rubbish .??

• I have had two English bullies and fed them both on raw meat I get it in frozen blocks from the local farmer, Dogs are carnivores and raw meat is what they would have ate years ago, they have very strong stomach acid to break down any bacteria as well as bones! but lack the digestive enzymes like amylase in their saliva to predigest carbs.
      I would ask the breeder if the dog you are getting is a pup and ask them what they feed their dogs on, good luck.

23. Posted by ken on May 13, 2013 at 16:24

Hes eightweeks old mate. The breeder told me hes on beta puppy food and chicken at the moment im picking him up wednesday so just trying to find out few things on what I should do best for him

24. Posted by ken on May 13, 2013 at 19:30

Does raw meat make them nasty

• Keep him on whatever the breeder is feeding him till he gets a few months older, changing diet when they are puppies can cause a mess if you know what I mean :0
      I don’t think it makes them nasty and most people I know who feed a raw diet have never mentioned it either, sometimes it looks that way if you are feeding raw meat because of the blood in it, they get a taste for it but then so do I when I have my steak raw to medium:)

• Posted by Sarah on August 22, 2013 at 09:14

Best thing to do is feed pup raw. None of this processed rubbish! Dogs arent actually carnivores they are omnivores. Minced carcasses and chicken/duck wings bashed with a rollong pin initially for pup. Read RAW sites online. The % you feed is based on pup’s weight. Def swap earlier rather than later. X

25. Posted by Sarah McPherson on June 15, 2013 at 10:00

Clearly the author has never owned or been around a Bull Terrier, thank god, and used unreliable sources to write this evaluation. I have to say this is the most untruthful and uneducated description I have ever seen. The author clearly has too much time on their hands to write the biggest load of bullshit I have read on the breed to date šŸ™‚

26. Posted by markuspretzel on June 16, 2013 at 11:37

Please, Sarah, there is no need for abuse. Here at Dog Breeds of the World we always try our best but we understand our best will never be good enough for some. I am sorry for this but sadly it is the way the world is made (by God, not by humankind – it is important to remember this). As I have mentioned before, all our information is exhaustively researched using only the best sources, such as Wikipedia. Despite your negative comments, I take heart from your use of the smiley face to communicate some love towards the site and the people who work hard to produce this fine collection of quality information about dogs. Best wishes in all your future endeavours, Markus x

P.S. If you are interested in dogs, generally, why not check out some of the other breeds featured on the site?

27. Posted by Joe on July 17, 2013 at 10:42

I have a bully and I tried my best to socialize him at an early age.However he was attacked by a few dogs then he turned back and can not be trusted with no other dogs.I feel it’s not my fault rather that’s just him you can’t label the owner he loves human company.He also loves my cat called George whom he cleans and plays with. :@)

28. Posted by Baazu on August 28, 2013 at 14:48

This article is utterly incorrect, and I do hope that people will read the comments from more educated people. The bull terrier is _always_ very human friendly and actually doesn’t make a very good guard dog when alone as pretty much never attacks even aggressively behaving person. Also, as any other breed, correctly socialized, the bull terrier makes an great companion especially around people, children and even other dogs. The bull terrier rarely shows any aggression, but might response to it if other dog challenges it on it’s own territory. Please get your facts straight and visit some bull terriers. You’re more than welcome to visit mine, if you wish to educate yourself.

29. Posted by Chris Morris on September 8, 2013 at 17:11

As a English bull terrier owner I’m shocked at how you have portrayed the bull terrier as a horrid vile and nasty dog you people have obviously never owned a bull terrier.

My bully as been to hell and back due to her previous owners beating her and breeding her and when she couldn’t breed no more they through her out how you would think she would be nervous and dislike humans but no! Our bully just wants a cuddle on the sofa and lots of love and saying bull terrier will attack other dogs and should never be let of the lead and be muzzled seriously get over your selfs a couple of months back a collie attacked our bully for no reason and did our bully fight back no she was scared. I know many other bully owners that would tell you the same that bullies are nothing like how you are depicting them who ever wrote this obviously has a chip on there shoulder about English bull terriers and this web page will be shared on all bully forums till you get your facts right.

And hitler did not own a English bull terrier what utter bulls**t

30. Posted by Ilse on September 8, 2013 at 17:23

Your description of the English Bull Terrier is hilarious. It is so far removed from the truth that it must be a joke, right? Right?!?!?!

31. Posted by Maria Lewis on September 8, 2013 at 17:31

Who ever wrote this article about the most gentlest breed must be on drugs because I don’t think I’ve ever read so much shit in all my life. Clearly a fictional writer and probably never has had the pleasure of owning an English Bull Terrier. Please do the world a favour and quit writing any future articles and check yourself into college where you can get yourself an education!

32. Posted by Morty on September 8, 2013 at 17:39

Wot a load of crap, how the hell do u remove the fear jean! All dogs can b nasty, but not as nasty as humans tht make them tht way. We control the dogs, oh and not as bad as these condemning them!

33. Posted by Susie Q on September 8, 2013 at 17:42

Just further proof of morons spewing toxic crap on the Internet. Don’t know how I’ve survived over the past 30 years living with 3 different monster bull terriers!!!! Oh my heavens!!!!! 12 year olds shouldn’t be allowed to use the blogs.

34. Posted by Dawn on September 8, 2013 at 18:13

What a load of rubbish! People like yourselves shouldn’t be able to set up web sites. Extensive research my ass! Even if your lies about bull terriers were true I’d prefer to spend time with a bully than complete numpty like yourself.
    After reading your replies Markus you sound like you are all of about 15 years old. Get a life mate and stick to retail as you obliviously know nothing about dogs

35. Posted by claire doughty on September 8, 2013 at 18:34

I have never read so much rubbish in all my life! This complete load of crap that you have put on here looks like it has been written by someone who has no clue about any breed of dog not just ebt..we all sit and wonder and do nothing about these dogs that are abandoned through no fault of their own all because someone has read something like this and took it as gospel and now and ebt is a monster that goes around eating dogs..i have rescued an ebt that was beaten with a mop! Left in his cage that long he wore his pads down and chewed off his own tail trying to get out! But is my ebt scared of human contact? No he loves everyone and other dogs and has given humans a second chance..maybe you should learn this nature that this breed has cos you clearly dont have a clue what you are talking about!

36. Posted by Danny c on September 8, 2013 at 19:00

Are you serious??…where are you getting this crap from im actually laughing at this,do you own one..hmmmm probably not..bull terriers are the most loving loyal dogs,they do not enjoy attacking other dogs at all,its articles like this that gives our lovely breed a bad name its pathetic..seriously you need to be around/own bull terriers to actually do a proper article about these lovely breed,my god what shit ive just read..please go and spend some time with some and then tell me the truth..can you please show this article to the bull terrier groups on facebook as there will be thousands of bullie lovers who will put you right…rant over..

37. Posted by Michelle Southworth on September 8, 2013 at 19:15

When I first read the original post I thought it was some sort of joke or prank but reading on clearly not, this is the most inaccurate information I have read about the wonderful gentle breed that is the Bull Terrier, here are some facts so you can actually educate yourself on the breed…

The Bull terrier is a strong, athletic and energetic dog that is capable of doing a multitude of tasks including watch dogging and protecting as well as agility and obedience events. They are also ideal family dogs with clownish personalities and a loving temperament when properly trained and socialized.

The Bull terrier has a very distinctive head and is rarely mistaken for any other breed by those that are familiar with their characteristics. The head is almost totally oval in profile from the skull through to the tip of the nose. The shape of the face should be full without any hollow areas or concavity to the profile. The eyes are very small and almond shaped, centered towards the middle of the head for a distinct appearance. In some literature the eyes are described as triangular in shape, and in some Bull terriers this is a very accurate description. The eyes should be located closer to the ears than to the nose, adding to the appearance of length on the face below the eyes. The ears are very pointed and rather thin, placed close together on the top of the skull. They should be relaxed most of the time but can be held absolutely erect with the dog is attending to something.

The neck is thick and slightly arching and longer than that of most mastiff or bulldog types. The shoulders are heavy set and well developed with a very deep and wide chest. The front legs are stocky and short, well set to the outside of the deep chest. The brisket or bottom of the chest should be significantly deeper than the abdomen area. The back is short and strong looking with muscular loins and a well developed rib cage. Although the appearance is solid the body should not look overly heavy or disproportionate to the rest of the dog.

The legs of the Bull terrier should be strong with good bones and excellent conformation. They should neither turn out or in at the knees or hocks or at the feet. The feet are round and arched, similar to that of a cat. The dog should be light on his or her feet, and should not shuffle or drag the feet in any gait, although they do often appear to almost roll from side to side when in movement. The movement should appear smooth and fluid with a good length to the strides and a typical “I am in control” attitude present in the movement.

The tail of the Bull terrier is moderately long and set low on the hindquarters. It is usually carried horizontal with the ground and is tapered from the thick base to the tip at the end. The skin of the Bull terrier should be tight against the body without noticeable wrinkles or folds anywhere on the body.

*History*

The Bull terrier was originally developed in the early 1800’s when bull baiting was considered a sport. The goal of the early breeders was to create the ideal bull baiting dog that would be strong, fearless and brave. They crossed the Old English Terrier with the Bulldog as well as a Spanish Pointer breed. The resulting typically white dog was unique in appearance as well as very strong, but was not ideal in the brutal bull baiting ring.

The temperament and unique appearance of the Bull terrier attracted many individuals at that time and they where quickly selected as a watchdog and companion breed of dog. At this time the breeders began to breed out the aggressive tendencies and this has continued.

The all white Bull terrier was originally known as the White Cavalier and was a favorite watchdog of royalty. It continues to be the most commonly known colour of the Bull terrier although several other colour varieties are common and desirable.

*Temperament*

The Bull terrier is a fun loving, people loving and highly attentive type of dog. Their unique face shape often makes them appear very focused and attentive to their owners, and they are known to seem to understand what the owner is thinking and planning to do. As a breed they are often described as clownish despite their rather aggressive start in the dog world. Now the breed is known as a gentle, kind dog rather than the fighting dog it originally was intended as.

The Bull terrier requires human attention and interaction to be happy and secure. They absolutely love children and are energetic and sturdy enough to be wonderful companions for kids of all ages. Younger children may need time to get used to the affectionate and somewhat energetic play of the Bull terrier. The Bull terrier, as with many terrier breeds, becomes rather possessive and jealous of both people and objects so needs to be taught to share. Teasing is also a problem with this breed and children and adults must learn not to engage in any type of play the dog may misinterpret as teasing. They are not considered appropriate for a home where they would be alone more than they are in the presence of the family or where they would be kept in a kennel. The Bull terrier is a good watchdog and will bark to notify the family when a stranger approaches, however they are not likely to be highly protective or be an effective guard dog, it is simply not in their nature to be aggressive towards people.

Males and females that are spayed and neutered can become good companions for each other, but slow introductions or raising them together from puppies is recommended.

38. Posted by mjr on September 8, 2013 at 20:24

What absolute rubbish my dog was born in May and is a Taurus and he will only drink Guinness cannot get him on Bud for love nor money. Its hilarious

39. Posted by Sarah on September 8, 2013 at 21:28

Actually think you might find they were originally bred for ratting ! Derrrrr please get your facts right before you publish rubbish like this !

40. Posted by jo fisher on September 8, 2013 at 23:13

What a pack of ignorant pricks some people are. English Bull Terriers are one of the loveliest breed of dogs I have come across and their natures are wonderful and loving. Its like any dog breed, there are always the brainless twits that use them for fighting etc and it gives the rest a bad name………..I would have another one any day.
    They are more like a friend than a “pet” and such big sooks.

I think the people who write these terrible things need to take a good look at themselves and broaden their horizons!

Enough Said!!!

41. Posted by Paul johnson on September 8, 2013 at 23:20

Totally inaccurate. Wot a ridiculous write up. English bulls are not aggressive nor are they prone to attack other dogs and larger animals. I have two English bulls one boy one girl. A Staffordshire bull terrier. A cat and a parrot and they all get on extremely well together. No aggression at all !!!

42. Posted by Gina on September 9, 2013 at 07:03

Omg what crap.this guy obviously hadnt had a bull terrier. Bull terriers are the most loyal dogs ive ever known. Ive two dog and a bitch both rescue very loving very loyal very very daft. No wonder people get the wring impression. Think he needs to spend a day in our life. Idiot

43. Posted by Lizzie Franks on September 9, 2013 at 09:11

Not even worth a long reply…our 4 bullies live in harmony with 4 cats and they join us on the walks we go …cant be bothered saying anymore … a pile of misinformed trash…

44. Posted by Tony on September 9, 2013 at 09:24

This info is spot on correct ad I walked my E BT in kent last week it ha 4 pints of Stella then attacked 2 elephant a giraffe and a herd of wildebeest and then got a kebab on the way home. Honest

45. Words fail me my English bull is a sweet natured well mannered and a pleasure to be around every minute of every day he is so loving I wouldn’t be without him in my life and he loves my grandson with all his heart and he loves his playtimes with him, get your information corrected as you upset and annoy the decent people you know better

46. Posted by Mark on September 9, 2013 at 20:14

I can’t believe you can post this utter rubbish , I would question if your any kind of professional on anything Apart from lies , English bull terriers are the most loving breed of dogs you will find . It’s only very small minded people like YOU that don’t under stand this loving breed šŸ˜¦

Comments are closed.