Bedlington Terrier

bedlington terrier

The Bedlington Terrier was originally bred for its meat and fleece in the rural county of Staffordshire, England. Up until the early nineteenth century a small number were also milked and a sour-tasting cheese produced. Even today, despite the Bedlington being a protected breed, these dogs have a relatively short life expectancy (three to five years) due to being mistakenly culled as lambs.

Built not unlike the Greyhound or Whippet, the Bedlington can accelerate from 0-60 in an impressive 4.8 seconds. They have a top speed of around one hundred and forty miles per hour and the unique carbon fibre construction of their legs means they possess superb handling capabilities, being able to turn on a sixpence even when running at high speed. Such attributes make the Bedlington an excellent choice for hunting vermin and it is not unheard of for unsavoury characters and unscrupulous sorts to use them for (illegal) badger baiting.

Bedlington Terriers are highly intelligent, and many have written works of great worth. Good with children, these dogs make fine family pets and wonderfully faithful companions. However, whilst they are generally happy in the role of humble servant to mankind, many secretly harbour dreams of working in television, where they hope to emulate the success of the most famous Bedlington Terrier of all time, Sweep (co-star of The Sooty Show).

Advertisements

12 responses to this post.

1. I have read some rubbish about my breed, bedlingtons, but the complete and utter clap trap above about being culled as lambs etc beggars belief…this is highly irresponsible and completely untrue.
    bedlingtons average life expectancy is in excess of 12 years.
    PLEASE remove this damaging hurtful rubbish.

2. Posted by markuspretzel on September 7, 2009 at 23:05

Dear Shirley, I’m very sorry to hear you are unhappy with the quality of our work. Here at Dog Breeds of the World it is always our intention to educate and inform and NEVER to offend. However, I do know how much you travelling folk love your Bedlingtons and, indeed, how important they are to you in a practical sense as you go about following the unique way of life you have chosen for yourselves. Whilst it is my intention to check the accuracy of the details with my new assistant, Melissa (an expert on Great Danes and other breeds), I’m afraid I cannot remove the information from the site as this might spoil enjoyment for others. I can only offer my heartfelt commiserations that you have chosen to take offence at what is essentially an educational and informative piece of writing. It is not my fault that history is made the way it is – I am only relaying the facts, sad as they are. Of course, I am very sorry that your favourite breed of dog has been mistreated in the ways mentioned – I do not like to see any animal whatsoever suffer – however I do think it is very clear that the article does not condone such actions in any way. I hope you can see our point of view and wish you all the best for the future, wherever the road may lead you. Kind regards, Markus x

3. What do you mean “travelling folks”? i am no “travelling folk” but own a huge ouse and kennels AND I do know what is written on your site is utter rubbish, completely WRONG and you should be ashamed to pretend you are trying to “educate”….i6 is notr a question of “offend”…what you have written is just plain inaccurate and could not be backed up by ANYONE else who has ever written anything about bedlingtons. My breed of dog has NEVER in all its history, going back to the late 1700s ever been “mistreated” as you suggest…i cannot imagine whre such complete inaccurate info has come from..it is WRONG<, NOT TRUE..you are misleading anyone who reads the rubbish written.

• Posted by markuspretzel on September 24, 2009 at 12:16

Goodness, Shirley, you make it sound as if I’m engaged in a deliberate campaign to systematically disseminate misinformation, or something.

Of course, I am very happy that you have managed to settle down. Whilst – and I think I speak for all us city dwellers – we all appreciate the romantic charm of the bohemian way of life, it is always nice to see someone adapt to our (admittedly more conventional) way of thinking and settle down in a home that just ain’t goin’ nowhere! Well done on the kennels front, too – selling dogs sure beats selling pegs! I wish you all the luck in the world, and hope your feet really have lost their itchin’ ways for good! Take care, Markus x

4. Like Mr. Pretzel, I must disagree with Shirley. Although I am a newcomer to the family of Bedlington owners, I find my six-month-old pup quite capable of achieving speeds of 140 mph, particularly if I bellow the word “TREAT!” out the front door. A sweeter, more agreeable dog is hard to imagine and, as Mr. Pretzel said, she is an exquisite writer (although only when I let her use the computer; her penmanship is abominable.) In fact, she is sitting in my chair typing this even as we speak, and correcting my grammar as she goes along. Well done, Kiwi my lass! Now if you would just quit eating the cat poop out of the litter box…

5. Posted by Jussy on April 15, 2010 at 12:01

Marcuspretzel you are a legend!

6. Posted by Ray Herman on April 14, 2011 at 06:49

I don’t know where you get your information but you are way off base. Shirley Davies is a breeder of renown and I too have been breeding and showing for more than 40 years. In fact, I was a past president of the Bedlington Terrier Club of America and it’s high time for a retraction of your misinformation. Your associate knows nothing about this breed and to spread the claptrap is irresponsible and totally wrong.

• Posted by markuspretzel on April 17, 2011 at 23:20

You’ve been breeding for 40 years?! Wow, imagine how many children you must have! Hundreds, I guess. That is some achievement my friend; I salute you. But do not worry: I can assure you all the material posted on the site is exhaustively researched. In fact, it might be that our team knows some things about the Bedlington Terrier you don’t? If you think about it that is actually a good thing as it means you and some other people can learn. Look after yourself and have a fun day breeding and showing, my friend. Kind regards, Markus x

7. Reading these comments are just as entertaining as the blog itself, I have to say!

8. Posted by Tallulah on December 1, 2011 at 23:08

I started reading the Chinese Crested post (I have 2 cresteds and it’s so true about the stench!!). Then I clicked on the Bedlington Terrier and have been crying laughing at the comments!!! O M G !!!!! ;-))

9. Posted by Steve on April 12, 2012 at 19:15

I’m going to get one to take me to work and from its fur I shall have a hat and gloves to keep me warm whilst travelling at speed.

10. This piece of writing offers clear idea in favor of the new visitors of blogging, that truly how to do blogging.

Comments are closed.